Engineering Manager - Transaction Health, Cash App
- Melbourne VIC, Australia
- Employees can work remotely
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 33 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Financial Platform is building the core set of primitives that provide access to the underlying infrastructure that powers finance around the world. One of the fundamental functions we provide is the capability to process card transactions for our Cash App and Square Banking customers..
The Transaction Health team, part of Financial Platform, plays a crucial role to ensure that card transactions are processed within tight timeframes, at web scale. The team partners with Data Science, ML and Business Operations to provide risk assessment, approval optimization and enhance our customer’s experience when using the cards we issue.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to work alongside an established team of engineers.
- Partner closely with business operations, engineers, and data scientists to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs.
- Be driven by SLOs, prioritize multiple streams of work from disparate customers.
- Build a world-class team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar.
- Lead and participate in critical technical, strategic and operational discussions with leaders across the organization, company and external partners.
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, accountability, pragmatism, and urgency in the team.
We value Engineering Managers who:
- Lead with a people-first approach, can lead a conversation rather than dictate it, and are empathetic to conflicting viewpoints.
- Have 2+ years experience in leading teams of engineers, in both a technical and people management capacity, and ideally remote and distributed teams.
- Are able to build strong relationships with counterparts, both internally and externally, including business operations, risk operations and customer support.
- Excel at building world class engineering teams that are highly-functional, collaborative and inclusive.
- Have boundless curiosity, are driven by what they don’t know and thrive in ambiguous environments.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Jaeger, Prometheus, SignalFx
- Hibernate, Guice, Arrow
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.