Senior Software Engineer - PubSub/Eventing, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 36 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
The Cash App engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining the systems that make it all work. As an engineer in the PubSub team, we are responsible for providing robust and scalable event systems that support Cash App data ranging from mission-critical payment events to high volume user event and sensor data, requiring us to gain deep expertise in a variety of event driven systems patterns and providing teams the expertise to help them build reliable and predictable event driven systems.
We already have a huge volume of events daily, and expect this to grow by an order of magnitude.
Our teams are remote first and globally distributed. You will have high levels of autonomy and curiosity.
As a senior member of Cash Cloud PubSub engineering team, you'll also collaborate with our stakeholders - including product engineers to:
- Design, build, and own infrastructure projects that provide critical support for operating event driven systems at scale
- Build the platform that provides self-serve provisioning, scaling, and management of eventing topics
- Build and operate continuous integration and chaos testing for our platform
- Spread event driven architectures across the organization, while mentoring and inspiring fellow engineers
You'll also have the chance to explore and contribute to bleeding edge open source technologies that will form the future of Cash App's cloud eventing platform.
- Curiosity, persistence and a desire to get things done
- Ability to work autonomously, in ambiguity and collaboratively
- Strong communication skills
- Worked on systems where data consistency and availability is required
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated technical initiative on previous projects
Technologies we use and teach:
- Event driven architectures
- Apache Kafka / AWS MSK / Kafka Streams / Apache Flink
- Kotlin, Modern Java (11+), Go
- Terraform, Container services such as Kubernetes, Istio/Envoy
- Amazon Web Services
If you have experience with all of these technologies, great! If you don't that's okay too. We spend most of our time using these tools, but we're committed to working on the right technology for the job. As a senior member of the team, we look forward to having your expertise guide us into the future.
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.