Software Engineering Manager, Banking Services
- Toronto, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: San Francisco, United States
Square's Payment Platform is an open, global financial services platform for the developers who serve our sellers. We're looking for an Engineering Manager for the team that owns our money tracking and event orchestration services. You will leverage your technical knowledge to help the team build highly available and reliable services, while also working with product teams on the strategy to build new capabilities for our sellers and buyers all over the world.
- Help make your team a place where everyone can live their best lives and do the best work of their careers. You'll hire and develop software engineers, helping them learn and achieve their goals while holding them - and yourself - to high engineering standards
- Work with Product Management, senior leadership, and your peers to develop the strategy for your team
- Guide the team in evolving our systems to be more robust and reliable, meeting timelines to improve the customer experience
- Identify and guide projects to increase resiliency, fault tolerance and deployment velocity while decomposing complex services and providing an exceptional experience to Square's sellers
- Foster long-term thinking and new ideas in a complex space, and develop and maintain services to support our business
- Develop efficient processes, ensuring the engineering team is operating with high velocity, quality and ownership. Participate in on-call rotations to serve this critical production service.
- Guide your team to design and implement high-volume, low-latency, distributed transaction processing systems, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency and availability when both are not possible
- 8+ years relevant software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a Software Engineering Manager with experience managing principal / senior level engineers
- Experience operating essential services at scale, driving reliability and resiliency while developing new functionality.
- Experience creating highly available, scalable, low-latency, global systems.
- Interest in changing the payments landscape in the US and globally
- [Bonus] Experience working with financial systems
Technologies we use and teach:
- Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, jOOQ
- AWS SQS, Lambda, DynamoDB, and MySQL
- JIRA, SignalForm, PagerDuty, and GitHub
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources