Software Engineer, Payment Authentication
- Calgary, AB, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
As a Software Engineer on the Payments team, you will oversee developing the Payments Platform services and infrastructure that securely move money for Square. You will be involved in the technical details of building available and reliable services, while also working with product teams to allow Square to build new capabilities for our merchants and buyers all over the world.
- Work with engineering, product, and other partners to build software that is clean
- Develop modern APIs that integrate multiple surfaces with server back-ends
- Create engineering of well-designed, reusable and secure systems to improve payment acceptance and secure Square customers
- Promote engineering best practices and help establish technical road-map for the team
- Focus on operational excellence to bring fault tolerant systems allowing the team to move fast without negatively affecting our customers
- Raise awareness and promote adoption of new authentication mechanism within Square and beyond
- 2+ years of software engineering experience
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- Experience building backend services in Java, Kotlin, Scala or Go
- Experience in architecting, implementation and delivery of complex software
- Experience with security problems and risks and mechanisms to avoid them
- Desire to perform and grow as a technical leader and engineer
- Experience working in payments industry
- Experience or education in security or cryptography space
Technologies we use:
- Java, Golang, Ruby
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources