Engineering Manager, Marketplace
- Seattle, WA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Toronto, Canada
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
In the Developer Platform team, we are focused on enabling third-party developers to build applications on the Square platform that meet the needs of a wide range of merchants, allowing them to run their entire business on Square.
We are looking for a senior engineering leader to lead our Marketplace organization. In this role, you will be responsible for the marketplace for applications and services that third party developers provide using our platform and leveraged by millions of Sellers. You will also be responsible for starting a new business initiative from concept. This impactful and visible role requires a leader who can build a long-term vision for the space, drive execution, and establish credibility and influence across Square's ecosystem of products. Sound like you? Read on.
- Guide long-term thinking and innovation in an ambiguous space, and promote your organization to support our business
- Collaborate with Product Management, senior leadership, your peers and teams across Square to develop the strategy and build the Marketplaces business.
- Incubate, launch and grow a new business initiative over 12 months
- Hire and develop your leaders and engineers, helping them grow and support the product roadmap
- Lead planning and resource allocation for a quickly growing Marketplaces organization
- Develop efficient processes, ensuring the engineering team is operating with high velocity, ownership, and self-accountability
- Report into the Head of Engineering for Square Developer Platform
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
- 8+ years relevant software development and systems design experience
- 3+ years of experience as a Software Development Manager;
- Experience leading large software products that have successfully been delivered to customers
- Experience building two sided marketplaces is a plus.
- Experience with ML and recommendation systems is a plus.
- Prior experience launching a new business or product is a plus.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources