Senior Product Writer
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Seattle, United States
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Seller Experience is the team that is considered the glue of our product ecosystem. It is the team that thinks outside of individual products and focuses on the entire experience a seller has when they are evaluating, signing up for, and using Square. Seller Experience owns many of the shared surface areas and platforms that all of Square's products feed into such as our public website (squareup.com), sign up flows, the Square Dashboard where merchants manage their business, our help and support channels, as well as our product design systems and best practices.
We are looking for our first Product Writer to join the Seller Experience team. You will report directly to the Head of Design for Seller Experience, with the charter to establish the UX Writing practice across five core sub-teams and even more satellite teams. You will work intimately with product designers, product managers, researchers, engineering, and legal to increase usability and ease of use across our products, but also to build the processes we will rely on to grow UX Writing as a discipline with other UX writers across the company.
- Write and edit product copy across five primary teams within Seller Experience with the potential to support additional satellite teams. This includes the smallest micro copy to the most visible headlines and everything in between
- Guide best practices for UX writing in collaboration with our design systems team and other UX writers across the company
- Build relationships with team members and leads from other disciplines across the organization, and speak to processes and value of the writing discipline
- Partner with marketing writers to determine how our brand voice is expressed within our products
- Help the Product Design team become more efficient by developing processes and workflows for working with UX Writers
- Apply metrics, data, design research, user testing, customer support insights, and more to inform content and language decisions
- Create a foundation for growing UX writing as our organization scales
**For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio and any relevant passwords**
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience
- A portfolio with examples of previous UX writing work specifically showing how you improved user experience through language, from interface copy to style guides and beyond.
- Experience being embedded in a product design team with whom you'll collaborate.
- Comfortable providing feedback on UI/UX designs, asking thoughtful questions about product strategy, and applying insights from research
- Experience using design software tools like Figma and Sketch.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources