Senior Software Engineer, Online Data Storage
- New York, NY, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Online Data Storage team (ODS) is responsible for OLTP systems within Square. ODS provides and maintains a reliable and secure platform to host databases, both on-premise and in AWS. The team develops tooling to automate the creation and maintenance of databases, and gives application developers tools to better manage their databases.
As an Engineer on ODS, you will:
- Design, build, and own the software and tools to automate the lifecycle of databases.
- Work with other platform teams to develop the infrastructure of Square's database servers.
- Optimize datastore architecture and configurations to improve performance efficiency, for both on-premise and cloud-based production environments.
- Work with other product teams to improve their database usage.
Technologies you will use:
- Amazon RDS
- Amazon ElasticSearch
- 5+ years of strong industry experience developing highly scalable production services.
- 5+ years of experience in the administration, operation, and performance tuning of MySQL, Redis, or Elasticsearch.
- Experience writing software applications in Go.
- Experience with incident response, including disaster recovery.
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Ruby or Bash.
- Demonstrated professional skill at engineering support for internal developers.
- Experience working with the AWS platform.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources