Senior Software Engineer/Tech Lead, Web Foundation
- 1455 Market Street , San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Atlanta, United States
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a smartphone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Terminal, Square Appointments, Square Online Store, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
As a Software Engineer on Web Foundation, you would join a newly forming web team responsible for providing architectural guidance, frameworks, and primitives used as the building blocks for all product development at Square. Engineering teams across Square rely upon these offerings to develop and ship new features at scale. This team reports to the Developer Empowerment organization which ensures software development at Square is not only fast and efficient, but delightful.
- Identify, scope, and lead complex, web / front-end projects with wide impact across the company
- Build or integrate architectural frameworks and tools helping product developers rapidly develop and ship new features in mobile applications
- Translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can iterate quickly and take calculated risks without negative impact reaching our customers.
- Work with multiple stakeholders across the company including product, design, legal, support, and other engineering teams
- Provide mentorship and design reviews for engineering teams across Square working with our frameworks
- Mentor other engineers and help cultivate a growing team
- Contribute to the direction of the team and selection of projects on our roadmap.
- 8+ years of front-end development experience and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals
- Ability to breakdown complex projects into components or milestones that can easily be picked up by other engineers
- Demonstrated collaboration with co-workers on cross-functional teams and in other locations
- Desire to understand developer pain points, jobs-to-be-done, and sense of ownership
- Desire to promote adoption through high-quality documentation, tutorials, and samples.
Technologies we use and teach
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Java, Ruby on Rails, PHP (Vanilla and Laravel), Go
- MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Memcached
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, qualifications, professional competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.