Crypto and Financial Communications Lead
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
We started with a simple idea - that everyone should be able to accept credit cards - and we’ve been rethinking buying and selling ever since. For sellers, we’re creating one cohesive service to run your entire business, from a register in your pocket to analytics on your laptop. For buyers, we’re making it faster to order from the businesses you love and more fun to pay your friends back. And we’re redefining the world’s relationship with money with Cash App. Buying and selling sound like simple things - and they should be. Somewhere along the way, they got complicated. We’re working hard to make commerce easy for everyone.
Square is looking for an extraordinary communications professional to join the Corporate Communications function, which protects and advocates for Square's brand globally. Reporting to the Head of Corporate Communications, you will work with executives and teams across Square, including finance, investor relations, legal, government relations, corporate development, and marketing. We are looking for creativity, and the ability to change course quickly and perform in high-stress situations.
You will have a strong focus on bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Square believes that cryptocurrency aligns with the company's purpose of economic empowerment, and provides a way for the world to participate in a global monetary system. Following this belief, Square integrated bitcoin trading into Cash App, which enables customers to buy, sell and transfer bitcoin. The company formed Square Crypto, an independent team solely focused on contributing to bitcoin open-source work for the benefit of all, and also recently launched the Cryptocurrency Open Patent Alliance (COPA), a non-profit organization encouraging crypto innovation and opening access to patented crypto inventions. Other crypto initiatives at Square include our Bitcoin Clean Energy Initiative, founding member of the Crypto Council for Innovation, our Bitcoin Endowment, and financial investments, among others.
- Implement an external communications strategy that drives company messaging around our work in cryptocurrency.
- Support communications for Square's important company business and financial-related events and announcements, including M&A, treasury investments, quarterly earnings announcements, financial filings, and more.
- Partner directly with members of Square's executive team, including Square's CEO, CFO, and General Counsel, advising on messaging, media engagements, and drive the end-to-end corporate narrative across external communications.
- Protect Square, Inc's reputation and address complex, potentially controversial public issues affecting the company, executives and the board.
- Manage ongoing media relations for corporate functions; maintain relationships with national business, financial, crypto and technology press.
- Work with many teams inside Square, including finance, investor relations, legal, government relations, product, design, internal communications, engineering, support, HR, and others.
- Develop written materials, including company messaging and statements, press releases, communications plans, FAQs, and other collateral.
- Be a spokesperson on crucial media interactions, including crisis communications and issues that might affect our business and corporate reputation.
- Oversee major corporate announcements.
- A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) at least 7 years relevant work experience, either at a PR agency or on an in-house communications team.
- Previous communications experience with cryptocurrency, a consumer financial technology company or publicly-traded companies.
- Concrete knowledge of cryptocurrencies.
- Experience pitching financial, business, crypto and technology publications.
- An understanding of the bigger-picture and experience advancing company narratives in the down-cycles between corporate announcements.
- Summarize complex concepts to create messages that are consistent but tailored to multiple partners.
- Writing and editing skills.
- Skills in shaping and completing simultaneous projects. You can multitask and work effectively in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Experience working with senior leadership and teams across an organization, including finance, legal, corporate development, investor relations, product, engineering, business, and customer support.
- An appreciation of the Oxford comma.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.