Software Engineering Manager, Banking Services
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
Square's Payment Platform is an open, global financial services platform for the developers who serve our sellers. It provides the necessary components to manage identity, process payments across multiple channels, hold and transfer funds, and provide accounting, reconciliation, and reporting in a secure and compliant way. We are looking for an Engineering Manager for our Payments Settlement team. This team operates a critical production service that directly impacts how merchants get their money. You will use your technical knowledge to help the team build highly available and reliable services, while also working with product teams on the strategy to build new capabilities for our sellers and buyers all over the world.
- Help make your team a place where everyone can live their best lives and do the best work of their careers. You'll hire and develop software engineers, helping them learn and achieve their goals while holding them - and yourself - to high engineering standards
- Work with Product Management, senior leadership, and your peers to develop the strategy for your team while reporting into a Senior Engineering Manager on the team.
- Guide the team in evolving our systems to be more robust and reliable, meeting timelines to improve the customer experience
- Identify and guide projects to increase resiliency, fault tolerance and deployment velocity while decomposing complex services and providing an exceptional experience to Square's sellers
- Foster long-term thinking and new ideas in a complex space, and develop and maintain services to support our business
- Develop efficient processes, ensuring the engineering team is operating with high velocity, quality and ownership. Participate in on-call rotations to serve this critical production service.
- Guide your team to design and implement high-volume, low-latency, distributed transaction processing systems, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency and availability when both are not possible
- 8+ years relevant software development experience
- 2+ years of experience as a Software Engineering Manager with experience managing principal / senior level engineers
- Experience operating essential services at scale, driving reliability and resiliency while developing new functionality.
- Experience creating highly available, scalable, low-latency, global systems.
- Interest in changing the payments landscape in the US and globally
- [Bonus] Experience working with financial systems
Technologies we use and teach:
- Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, jOOQ
- AWS SQS, Lambda, DynamoDB, and MySQL
- JIRA, SignalForm, PagerDuty, and GitHub
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.