Compliance Lead, Decentralized Finance Bitcoin Business ("TBD")
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
Square believes the economy is better when everyone has access. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. In addition to building business tools so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses, Square operates Cash App, the fastest growing financial brand in the world, the TIDAL music streaming business, and now TBD. TBD is Square’s newest venture focused on building an open developer platform with the sole goal of making it easy to create non-custodial, permissionless, and decentralized financial (DeFi) services. Check out more directly from Square’s founder, Jack Dorsey, at this link. TBD will start by focusing primarily on Bitcoin use cases, and the team has a north star of reinventing the financial system through decentralization to further Square’s goal of financial inclusion and economic empowerment for all.
We are looking for a Compliance Lead for Square's newest business unit, TBD. You have a deep passion for cryptocurrency, blockchain technology or decentralized finance (DeFi), and experience building and running anti-money laundering/counter terrorist financing (AML/CTF), sanctions, and anti-bribery and corruption (ABAC) compliance programs and teams. You will help set the foundation for the new TBD team by developing a strategy for the TBD Compliance program and building on that vision. You will establish the TBD Compliance program and culture while integrating with Square's existing Compliance resources, create relationships, provide compliance and regulatory product counseling, partner with global regulatory bodies and strategic partners, manage team hiring and budgeting, and work with the Compliance executive team. You will also work with Square's legal team and TBD product leads to develop and scale TBD's first products, solve challenging problems, improve processes, and lead meaningful change through technology enablement. You will join Square's executive Compliance leadership team and report to Square, Inc.'s Global Chief Compliance Officer and Deputy General Counsel.
Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world. This role can be based in any of our US offices or remotely in the United States. Flexibility to travel and work across time zones is required.
- Build TBD Compliance's vision, strategic priorities, program and team and promote a culture of compliance
- Collaborate with partners to evaluate areas of potential risk or non-compliance
- Analyze jurisdictional regulations and develop policies and procedures designed to meet applicable cryptocurrency, AML, money transmission, remittance or otherwise applicable regulatory requirements
- Provide guidance on regulatory standards supporting the development of new products, features, and strategic programs, with an emphasis on client service and operations
- Collaborate on legislative strategies, provide support and diligence on mergers and acquisitions, and educate the public on new blockchain technologies
- Investigate and respond to compliance risk issues and regulatory inquiries, including preparing required documentation and making recommendations to senior management
- Provide general support for responses to internal and external audits and examinations
- Communicate and advise Square's executive team on goals and areas of risk and opportunity
- 10+ years of experience in financial services regulation
- Executive experience building AML/CTF, sanctions, and ABAC compliance programs
- Several years of people management experience with a dedication to building diverse teams
- Technical knowledge of international AML, sanctions, and ABAC compliance regulations
- Demonstrated interest in cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, blockchain technology or decentralized finance (DeFi). Experience in a related Compliance program preferred
- Experience working directly with regulatory and legislative bodies
- Developed working relationships with diverse groups within an organization (legal, product, engineering, finance, people, and others) and with external partners and vendors
- Desire to work in a fast paced, rapidly shifting environment
- Experience with executive level communication
- Capacity to meet deadlines while maintaining quality standards and ensuring effective time management
- FinTech experience preferred but not required
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.