Software Engineer - Trust & Safety - Cash App
- Kitchener, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
We are open to hiring in multiple locations within the US & Canada.
It all started with an idea at Square in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to our millions of monthly active users. We want to make the world’s relationship with money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
The Trust & Safety team is a new team responsible for product experiences aimed at promoting the health of our broader product ecosystem. This team will build products and features to detect and prevent the improper use of Cash App across all of our core product areas, and improve customer experience for those flagged by our risk, fraud, and abuse systems. We work to improve Cash App access for the vast majority of customers, while limiting access for bad or otherwise unauthorized actors.
This role requires broad perspectives, a willingness to dive deep, and readiness to work collaboratively across many disciplines (including product, design, operations, legal, data science, ML).
As a Software Engineer focused on Trust & Safety you will:
- Design, build, and operate APIs and services that power Cash App
- Work in a large monolith, in microservices, and help evolve our architecture to scale with growth in customers and developers
- Investigate issues across complex systems and build both the short-term and long-term solutions
- Collaborate with engineering, product, design, and operations both inside and outside the team to develop new, high-impact experiences
- Mentor, lead, and support your colleagues to help grow the team
- Build incrementally, test everything, and deploy often
- Contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- 2+ years of industry experience or equivalent
- Demonstrated technical initiative on previous projects
- Growth mindset and a healthy comfort with ambiguity
- Strong communication skills
- A focus on customer outcomes
- Experience with product risk or security
- Experience working in large codebases
- Experience working in a distributed team
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin, Golang
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, Hibernate, DynamoDB
- Kafka and event-driven architecture
- DataDog, Prometheus, SignalFX
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.