Software Engineer, Payment Platform - Cash App
- Kitchener, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
We are open to hiring in multiple locations within the US & Canada.
It all started with an idea at Square in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to our millions of monthly active users. We want to make the world’s relationship with money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
The Payment Platform team builds and maintains the software and services at the heart of Cash App - we own the platform that makes everything else possible. On this team, you’ll build software that helps us move money quickly and securely. You’ll work with product managers and other teams to design, implement and tweak features that make our platform the best. If you like high-impact backend work, writing microservices and solving problems with strict latency constraints that everyone relies on, this is the team for you.
We are hiring at all levels for this position.
- Lead complex, multi-person projects that cross Engineering team boundaries
- Own services at the bottom of the stack
- Mentor other Engineers on the team and make recommendations to improve the team and broader practices
- Take a developer-centric approach in building APIs used by apps and microservices
- Develop native Cash App payment features, scale systems to our growing customer base and test everything extensively
- Work with our team to help recruit candidates, organize external recruiting/networking activities, present externally and more
- Work with a team in the east coast time zone, so candidates in east coast/central time zones are preferred
- Enthusiasm for multiple technical areas
- A preference to work on large backend services driving hugely popular software
- Curiosity that pushes you to find flaws in an intricate system and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- Taken technical initiative on previous projects
- Made contributions to the architecture and design of complex systems
- The ability to persevere in a wide range of challenging situations - pressure or cross-functionality - and across multiple axes - like scale and uncertainty
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.