Senior Software Engineer - Observability, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Square in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to our millions of monthly active users. We want to make the world’s relationship with money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
Cash App's Observability Engineering team builds and operates infrastructure required for logging, metrics, tracing, profiling, and alerting in the cloud. We curate the tooling we use and creates libraries, automation, and documentation to make it easy to follow best practices for observability. Our mission is to provide tooling that empowers engineers to effectively observe, debug, and monitor their systems running on Cash App's cloud platform.
As a Senior Engineer on the Observability team, you’ll collaborate with our stakeholders - including product engineers - to:
- Design, build, and operate infrastructure that provide critical support for fast moving and fast changing business features
- Use a data-driven approach to make the call on any new infrastructure that might need to be added, whether it’s off-the-shelf or built in-house
- Architect distributed, real-time systems for high scalability and reliability
- Work with bleeding edge cloud technology
- Demonstrated technical initiative and leadership
- A passion for building, operating, and debugging distributed systems at scale
- Boundless curiosity, autonomy, and a strong sense of accountability
- Strong desire to perform and grow as a Senior Engineer as well as mentor other engineers
- At least one of the following:
- Experience building and/or operating observability systems at scale
- Proficient with container orchestration technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Proficient with infrastructure as code tools like Terraform
- Track record of successfully building and/or operating production systems in AWS
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Java, Kotlin
- Docker, Kubernetes, Linux, Terraform
- Datadog, Elasticsearch, Fluentd, OpenTelemetry, Prometheus, Sentry, SignalFx
- Amazon Web Services
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.