Emerging Machine Learning Developer, Intern
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Who are we?
Dessa helps the world's largest organizations reinvent what's possible with machine learning. Founded in 2016, the company has excelled at applying cutting-edge ML techniques to generate significant value in industries ranging from finance to telecommunications. Today, the company empowers teams to build and deploy enterprise-grade ML applications at scale with Foundations Atlas and Orbit.
What is the opportunity?
We are looking for an Emerging Machine Learning Developer Intern to join our Product Engineering Team this fall ('21) who is passionate about code craftsmanship, continuous improvement, agile development and machine learning. This is an opportunity to see the technical challenges involved in deploying AI systems and contributing to novel software that addresses those challenges, and will last for 12-16 months.
What will you do?
- Support in the development of AI enablement applications and suite of products
- Conduct experiments involving machine learning ideas from the forefront of research
- Share and present findings to team members and clients alike
- Write, compile, and edit technical documents
- Actively take part in educational activities: e.g. giving tech talks, running webinars, internal hack-a-thons, meetups, and dojos.
What’s in it for you?
- Work with purpose: contribute to cutting edge AI enablement applications that drive real business impact across industry verticals
- Opportunity to work with leading machine learning experts on cutting-edge problems
- Opportunities to develop relationships with a variety of industry decision-makers, subject-matter experts, software developers, and machine learning specialists
- Split time between your work duties and pursuing personal machine learning passion projects with mentoring from our machine learning experts
- Participate in feats of strength and lively company events that build your career toolkit while also enjoying a work-life balance
- Enjoy a company work environment that encourages self-expression, creativity, honesty, and learning
Candidates should have:
- Ability to work as an intern for 12-16 months, starting in fall 2021
- Deep experience with Python
- Interest and strong ability to learn other programming languages as needed
- Strong command of probability and statistics
- Hands-on experience with rapid prototyping using public open source libraries and APIs
- A unique blend of creative and critical thinking; must be self-driven and capable of working in a fast-paced environment
Nice to have:
- Contributes to open-source projects
- Develops applications / algorithms outside of normal schoolwork
- Experience with machine learning, data wrangling, and data visualization
- Exposure to large-scale software development, cloud development, distributed computing systems, natural language processing, and data-centric business intelligence tools
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.