Software Engineer, ML Data Intelligence
- San Francisco, CA
Square's ML Platform group has one goal: make machine learning at Square easy. Square has over 100 engineers and data scientists building machine learning solutions, and our group's job is to support these efforts. We build model development tools, feature computation infrastructure, and high scale serving systems to ensure that those trying to use machine learning can spend less time on infrastructure and more time delivering value.
Within that group, the Data Intelligence team provides systems and tools that help teams transform their data into reusable knowledge, so that new ML systems start with access to a large set of observations and features. To accomplish these goals, we own the services that compute real-time features used in the decision flows of all payments at Square and the historical data store that allows models to be trained. Our systems have to be tough enough to handle the processing load of all payments at Square, while also being flexible enough to help data scientists from many teams to do their job.
We sit in a unique spot as a platform team since we work with data scientists, engineers, and product managers from across the organization. We learn directly from our customers and build software that improves their productivity and capabilities.
We're looking for engineers to help us continue building Square's ML platform.
- Build tools and systems that make data scientists happier and more productive
- Build scalable systems that can do the heavy lifting of feature processing
- Work with product, data science, and engineering teams throughout the organization to understand their needs and solve their problems
- Lead architectural and design discussions, ensuring our platform is performant, fault tolerant, and maintainable
- Mentor your teammates and assist engineers on other teams who integrate with our platform
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- A desire to solve our customer's problems by working with them on requirements and solutions
- Experience designing and deploying large-scale distributed systems built around ML models and big data
- Knowledge of the process and paint points of ML, and a desire to use your engineering expertise to improve Square's ML platform
- Experience building flexible large-scale data processing systems, ideally with experience in Hadoop, Spark, and Dataflow
- In-depth experience using product offerings from AWS and GCP, DynamoDB, Lambdas, Bigtable, containerization technologies, etc.
- technical initiative and leadership on previous projects, and experience mentoring junior engineers
Technologies you will use:
- Java, Python, GCP, AWS, and Snowflake
- Python ML libraries (pandas, scikit-learn, Jupyter)
- MySQL, Redis, Hibernate, jOOQ, Bigtable, and React
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.