Software Engineer, Conversations Team
- San Francisco, CA
The Conversations team builds and operates Square Messages, a messaging platform for merchants to manage conversations with their customers across multiple channels (SMS, email, etc.). Messages is also home to Square Assistant -- a virtual assistant to help merchants serve their customers 24/7. The product is scaling up and out: to new channels with Apple Business Chat, Instagram, and Facebook integrations, and to new use cases, such as ecommerce, invoicing, 3rd party APIs, and eventually a virtual business phone. The team itself was created in mid-2019 with the acquisition of Eloquent Labs.
We're looking for engineers with an interest in backend/server engineering to help build out Square Messages, and to support scaling out our NLP backend infrastructure for Square Assistant.
- Play a key role in implementing a new messaging product within Square.
- Build highly available and fault tolerant systems for real-time messaging.
- Partner with AI, iOS, and web engineers to ship features.
- Collaborative with product managers and designers to refine and establish product scope and design.
- Ship cutting-edge AI to businesses that traditionally haven’t had access to it.
- 3+ years of relevant industry experience with a B.S. degree or equivalent
- Experience with system design and implementation
- Experience with AWS and Java is recommended
- Experience with microservice meshes are a plus
- Experience in Python and/or an interest in machine learning are a plus
- Interest in helping to shape the mission and roadmap of a new team
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.