Data Analyst, Reconciliation
- New York, NY, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Reconciliation Team oversees all money movement at Square, ensuring that our merchants, and external financial institutions, correctly settle with Square on every transaction. We empower Accounting, Finance, Product, Analytics, and Payments teams by delivering accurate data that is crucial to Square's financials and provides early warning indicators for many product systems at Square.
As a technical analyst on the Reconciliation team, you will work with our users and engineering to design and test reconciliation pipelines; build Looker dashboards that support Accounting, Treasury, and product teams; and develop data pipelines to support early detection and alerting of anomalies.
- Work with non-technical partners and product teams to understand their needs and come up with an automated end-to-end solution.
- Translate requirements into applicable data requirements.
- Design, curate, and document ETL pipelines to ensure accurate and reliable financial reporting.
- Bridge the gap between requirements and ETL logic by troubleshooting data discrepancies and implementing scalable solutions.
- Become an expert on Square's reporting platforms for development and visualization.
- Maintain security and data access models within Square's reporting platforms.
- Identify ways to improve existing reports and processes.
- Teach and encourage others to self-serve while building reports that make it simpler and faster for them to do so.
- Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field, or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years of experience solving complex data problems.
- Understand complex business systems.
- Create solutions with the willingness to fail fast and iterate quickly
- Understand non-technical business customers' needs and translate them into technical requirements
- Have attention to detail and a dedication quality.
- Technical accomplishments in SQL and data analysis skills.
- Experience developing ETL pipelines.
- Familiarity with schema design, query optimization, and data pipeline maintenance.
- Snowflake, BigQuery, MySQL or similar data handling experience.
- Data Visualization experience, e.g. Looker, Tableau
- Reconciliation and accounting knowledge
- Airflow experience
- Experience with financial data, accounting, or auditing
- Experience with Python or Java (automation/scripting)
- Experience with Linux/OSX command line and git
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.