Frontend Engineer, Square Conversations
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Alternate Location: Oakland, United States
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
In 2020, the Conversations team introduced Square Messages, a messaging platform for merchants to manage conversations with their customers across multiple channels (SMS, email, FB, etc.). Messages is also home to Square Assistant -- a virtual assistant to help merchants serve their customers 24/7. In the coming years, Messages will feature integrations with new communication channels (Facebook, Instagram, phone calls, etc.) and expand its scope within the larger Square ecosystem: Appointments, Feedback, Invoices; as well as integrating more AI solutions in messaging. The team itself was created in mid-2019 with the acquisition of Eloquent Labs.
We're looking for engineers to build and improve our web frontend to the Square Messages product.
- Play a key role in implementing a new messaging product within Square
- Build new features for Square-aware, real-time messaging
- Collaborate with AI, backend, Android, and iOS engineers to ship features
- Work cross collaboratively with product managers and designers to iterate on and define product scope and design
- Work with other teams in Square to understand product integrations, and write engineering designs for new features and integrations
- Ship cutting-edge AI solutions to businesses that traditionally have not had access to them
- 2+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with TypeScript or any strongly typed language is a plus
- Experience with React is a plus
- Experience with messaging and interest in machine learning are a plus
- Interest in crafting user interfaces and experiences of features powered by AI
- Interest in helping to shape the mission and roadmap of a new team, and rallying others to join you
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.