Compliance Appeals Lead
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash App lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
We are looking for a Compliance Lead to join Square and support the continued growth of our Cash App Compliance program. Our mission is to make banking and financial services accessible to the underserved and unbanked by designing and implementing an outstanding compliance program to help grow the Cash App business while protecting the broader financial ecosystem and the Company. Reporting to the Customer Onboarding and Management Lead, you will support the Cash App Compliance Customer Onboarding and Management ("COM") program by developing and leading a compliance operations team responsible for conducting in-depth compliance reviews as part of our customer appeals process.
- Oversee Appeals team operations, including training, hiring, coaching, and managing staff and program development
- Develop and maintain procedures applicable to the team
- Identify training opportunities; design/coordinate the development of training materials
- Refine existing workflows, and streamline/ enhance operational efficiency
- Work with other Compliance Leads to guide strategic planning on team growth, organizational structure, focus areas, and quarterly goals
- Understand regulatory landscape and compliance requirements; with emphasis on applicable Compliance and BSA/AML requirements including customer identification, due diligence best practices
- Create and meet important operational metrics and implement solutions with COM program managers regarding any issues identified
- Work with program management on ongoing technology, and process/workflow change plans and ensure appropriate team adoption
- Stay updated on knowledge on BSA/AML regulatory changes and landscape
- Provide guidance and insight on account escalations, including handling account escalations from junior team members
- Promote collaboration with Support, Risk, and other operations teams within Square
- 5+ years in a BSA/AML senior compliance / compliance operations role
- 3+ years people management experience, including coaching and developing compliance specialists/ analysts
- Operational knowledge in building and running a sound Compliance program
- Proficiency in BSA/AML laws and regulations, including analyzation of regulations for determining permissible transactions and activity
- Metrics-driven approach to create substantiated solutions and efficiency
- Strategic vision with the ability to motivate and inspire team members
- Excellent communication both verbally and written, including the ability to represent Square at industry events
- Present and communicate findings to senior leadership
- Ability to be flexible and adjust quickly as things change
- Experience with a financial services firm in the payment or Fintech space
- Relevant industry certifications (CAMS, CGSS, CFE, CFCS, CRCM)
- Knowledge of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies
- Fluency in a language other than English
- Experience in international markets
- Experience with SQL and/or Looker
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.