Product Design Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
Reporting to the Product Design Lead, you will have ownership of one or more projects and their bring up through all phases of the product design lifecycle. This involves project ownership from the conceptual to detail design and subsequent prototype and production builds at the factory. You will evaluate early field failures and implement engineering solutions throughout the sustaining engineering phase until the conclusion of the product's life cycle.
- Work closely with Industrial Design & Product teams to architect and refine new product concepts.
- Develop rapid prototypes using common prototyping techniques such as 3D printing, machining, etc.
- Design high volume & high cosmetic plastic and metal parts.
- Work closely with teams such as Electrical Engineering, Factory Test, Factory Quality, and our Operations teams to design and validate new products.
- Forge partnerships with our CMs to ensure successful builds.
- Communicate your designs in CAD, presentations, or hands-on prototypes, in front of
Unique aspects to the Square Product Design team:
- Ownership of elements of product and engineering program management especially in early project phases.
- Responsible for tooling bring-up and manufacturing design engineering of all new tools and processes.
- Incorporating security elements in our designs for tamper detection and prevention.
- Working with our CM partners in both OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturing) and JDM (Joint Design Manufacturing) models.
- Responsible for reliability testing including putting together a validation plan, using our CM partner's DQE teams to perform the testing, and reviewing, presenting and approving the data.
- Responsible for the sustaining in-production products including early field failure analysis (EFFA), design improvements, rework, and setting ongoing reliability testing specs (ORT)
- 2+ years direct or equivalent work experience
- Proven mechanical design experience
- Proficiency in industry standard CAD tools - SolidWorks a plus
- Designing parts with high cosmetic requirements
- Experience with high-volume manufacturing processes and DFM
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.