Machine Learning Modeler, Ecommerce
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
Content is king — Square merchants succeed when their content conveys the story and value of their products effectively. Yet the average merchant is not an expert in product photography, copywriting, SEO, or design. Furthermore, the average merchant has many existing sources of content available to them, but digitizing them to put them on an online store requires tedious manual effort. These factors hinder merchants from putting their best foot forward and starting selling online quickly.
The Square Ecommerce ML team focuses on removing these frictions by using ML to help merchants import, manage, and improve their content. We have successful applications for some of these problems, but we're still discovering the best ways to accomplish this and the best applications for ML in this context. We're looking for a creative ML Engineer that is interested in building merchant-facing products, that is excited about finding novel ways of applying existing ML techniques to create exciting new products, and that is comfortable finding the right balance of algorithmic performance and simplicity to reduce time-to-market.
- Increase existing entity recognition and relation linking model coverage to extract more classes.
- Extend existing document import, parsing, and modeling pipelines to support new kinds of documents and file types.
- Improve performance of entity recognition and relation linking models for document parsing by trying new models, adding new features, and experimenting with different architectures.
- Help procure, curate, and QA annotated data for new document parsing applications as well as for computer vision applications.
- In the medium term, aid in the development of instance segmentation, generative, and other image model types for photography applications.
- In the long term, support or independently drive discovery of novel applications of ML to text and image content import, classification, and transformation.
- A Bachelor's degree with 2-3 years of experience in software development or a MSc/PhD with 0-2 years of experience.
- Demonstrated technical leadership and initiative in previous projects.
- The ability to convert open-ended product requirements into concrete ML solutions with a well-defined scope.
- A strong modeling background, and experience building pipelines, modeling, and experimenting in frameworks like Keras (preferred) or Pytorch.
- Experience building models for NLP applications (preferred) or CV applications.
- Experience building services to serve ML applications in real-time, using technologies like Flask and MySQL.
- Working knowledge with cloud services like AWS, GCS, and their command line utilities.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.