Senior Designer - Design Systems, Cash App
- New York, NY
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: San Francisco, United States
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
As part of the newly formed Design Systems team, you will have the rare opportunity to grow the systems function at Cash App. Design Systems sits within Cash App’s core design group (The OS team) with the mandate to drive better, faster, and more cohesively designed experiences across the Cash App organization as our ecosystem grows.
The team is looking for a senior designer to drive major cross functional initiatives and take ownership of core pillars in the systems function.
- Help shape and execute the vision for design systems, scoping and subsequently owning ambiguous cross-functional initiatives
- Design components and patterns backed by research, put through testing, and published against benchmarks established with our cross functional partners
- Work autonomously, balancing ongoing long term work streams with strategic partners, and managing day-to-day system upkeep to libraries
- Advocate and evolve our governance model through the ebb and flow of organizational growth, product maturity, and platform challenges
- Initiate and drive ongoing systems research efforts, acting as glue between all teams involved in horizontal projects
- Be an ear to the ground of the entire organization, looking to connect the dots in our ecosystem
- 8+ years of experience working in user experience, product, or relevant design field
- 2+ years experience working in an explicit design systems role
- Experience successfully designing and building design systems at scale within a large product organization
- Strong user interface and design fitness
- Proficiency with current UI and product workflow tools (figma, airtable, notion, etc.) and comfortable speaking to modern display layer technologies (Token Schemas, APIs, Swift, React, etc)
- Been mistaken for an ops person or product manager before
- Experience working with distributed teams in multiple time zones and an affinity for designing and facilitating asynchronous collaborative work
- Work showcasing your involvement with research-- both preliminary and discovery, as well as tactical user testing and experience validation
- Past work experience showcasing the ability to define major workstreams, communicate a plan and success measurement framework, and then execute
- The spidey sense to recognize patterns most people don’t see in the organization, and the ability to facilitate collaborative efforts to connect the dots
- Experience working with creative & art directors, motion designers, audio designers, and illustrators as well as product designers, engineers, and product managers
- The same love for brand as you do product
- A portfolio showcasing experiences you’ve designed for varying platforms and devices (iOS, Andr, Responsive Web, etc) for a variety of different markets and audiences
- Past projects that showcase designing in ecosystems that require any of the following: global or local accessibility standards, translation, internationalization, localization
- Prior experience designing for the following product markets: wellness, behavioral health, education, training, supply chain, b2b
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.