Software Engineering Manager, Risk and Seller Health
- Halifax, NS, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Risk Engineering works to protect Square and our customers from fraud and payment disputes. We keep our customers safe while $25B+ flows through Square annually, and we allow the entire company to take risks and grow. To do this, we build systems to detect and respond to potential fraud threats, provide outstanding tools to agents for investigating fraud events, and give our customers seamless web and mobile experiences to manage and fight payment disputes. Our mission is to protect Square, protect our customers, and make a complicated and sometimes painful process understandable to all.
As Square has grown in size our customers sometimes face experiences that are confusing or difficult. We're building a dedicated team to establish a platform to ensure that our customer experience is cohesive, and they can seamlessly provide more context when we need it to maintain a business relationship.
- Lead a new Risk team responsible for the delivery and success of a new platform focused on maintaining a cohesive customer experience for sellers that need our help. You'll help to establish the new team's operating rhythm!
- Work with teams across Square, in multiple locations, to develop new features and improve existing processes
- Build an outstanding team by coaching engineers, promoting engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to hold your team to high engineering standards
- Grow your career in an engaged and creative engineering community that ships amazing products, reporting directly to a Senior Manager on the Risk team
- 2+ years of experience as a people manager, with demonstrated ability to ensure the success of your team members
- Experience hiring and building teams of top engineering talent
- A history of healthy collaboration with product managers, operations agents, engineers, data scientists, designers, and engineering managers on developing road-maps and working towards them
- Customer empathy: you understand your customers' needs
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.