Front End Engineer, Restaurants
- Toronto, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
The Restaurants team at Square is reimagining the hospitality industry to empower today's restaurants with simple, elegant software and efficient workflows. Restaurants today operate in an increasingly dynamic landscape, and we're building a modern product ecosystem to support this by using technology to unlock new workflows, revenue streams, and means of communication. Our focus is on efficiency, automation, and reliability: themes of paramount importance in a fast-paced environment where great hospitality is key.
As a front-end engineer on the Restaurants teams, you’ll develop elegant, intuitive, and performance solutions for restaurant owners to use in managing their business. You’ll work closely with your product manager to understand the job that’s trying to be done, consider if and how you should test your product’s success, and build it in a way that maximizes reuse and sharing. In collaboration with other engineers and designers on your team, you’ll iterate based on metrics and customer feedback, and work with other groups across the organization to create the best solutions to our customers’ needs.
Our team started in NYC, and is now distributed across the US and Canada. We have offices in several major cities for staff who’d like to use them, and our teams operate in a fully distributed fashion.
What you’ll learn and do:
- You'll create beautiful, unique products that empower anyone to run a restaurant
- You'll design and build products in Square Dashboard, one of the largest Ember.js applications in use anywhere
- You'll work closely and collaboratively with designers, product managers, and other engineers; very often across team boundaries
- You'll ship reliable software through continuous integration, test automation, and in-depth code reviews
- You'll find simple, elegant solutions to hard problems
- You'll grow as an engineer, and as you do you'll lift others around you
What you bring to the team and to Square:
- Motivation to build beautiful, intuitive products for the food and drink hospitality industry
- Curiosity, and a desire to learn and teach
- Empathy for your customers and colleagues
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others
- Familiarity with back end technologies a bonus (we use Java, Ruby, and Go)
Technologies we use and teach:
- Ember JS
- Ruby on Rails
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.