Head of Federal Affairs
- Washington, DC
- Employees can work remotely
As the Head of Federal Affairs, you will develop a strategy for engagement with federal policymakers. You will deepen relationships, track legislative and regulatory issues to ensure Square's vision of economic empowerment and access to financial systems is well represented at all levels of the federal government.
- Lead a team responsible for developing strategies to engage with federally elected officials, Congressional staff, third-party groups, regulatory agencies, and the Administration on issues affecting Square
- Find creative ways to engage with elected partners to bring messaging on issues of importance
- Maintain fluency on a variety of regulatory and policy issues including financial regulation, consumer protection, trade, tax, cryptocurrencies, AI/machine learning, intellectual property, and privacy
- Be an advocate for Square and our customers on important policy and political matters, and craft positions for us that will establish us as an expert and innovator
- Track essential regulatory activity, and develop strategies to achieve positive regulatory outcomes
- Guide processes to develop thoughtful, inclusive, and cohesive responses to incoming policy hurdles
- 12+ years of experience in federal government relations, with a preference for experience in the financial services and technology sectors
- A love of technology, and passion for Square's purpose
- Experience navigating complex policy issues
- Experience working collaboratively across internal departments
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication; and an ability to explain complicated issues and policy positions to any audience
- Curiosity and ability to collaborate
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.