Senior Software Engineer, Platform Infrastructure Engineer
- Melbourne VIC, Australia
- Employees can work remotely
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
As a key member of our newly forming Content Delivery Network (CDN) team you will be responsible for helping Square expand globally. We're investing in making sure that our software and systems are available quickly and reliably to everyone on the planet. You would help realize the Square mission of Economic Empowerment by working across the organization to solve infrastructure, content delivery and application performance challenges, with the vision of providing access to our systems from anywhere on the planet. We're looking for a senior software engineer who shares our values and has thorough experience in managing and utilizing CDNs.
- Help architect, design, and implement improvements to our infrastructure and how it takes advantage of CDNs
- Work across business units to develop and implement strategies that meet engineering and business needs
- Provide standards for teams across Square to leverage content delivery networks
- Build tools that drive automation and self-service
- Build solutions with security in mind
- Support engineering in troubleshooting failures and performance issues
- Participate in an on-call rotation covering all of the above
- Mentor team members
- 5+ years technical experience in several of the following areas: managing content distribution networks, network management and design, software development
- Knowledge of Internet architectures
- In-depth knowledge of proxy servers (envoy, haproxy, nginx) and CDN technologies
- Strong understanding of protocols like DNS, TCP, TLS and HTTP
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Impressive organizational skills
- A personal commitment to quality
- Experience with cloud environments (AWS, GCP)
- Experience service mesh technologies
- Experience with networking/routing
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.