State Public Policy Lead - Western Region
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
As State Public Policy Lead, reporting to the Head of State and Local Public Policy, you will develop a strategy for engagement with state policymakers in a group of states in the Western U.S. You will deepen relationships, track legislative and regulatory issues to ensure Square's vision of economic empowerment and access to financial systems is well represented at all levels of state government.
- Develop and execute strategies to engage with state-level elected and appointed officials, legislative and executive staff, regulatory agencies, third-party groups, and industry partners on issues affecting Square.
- Find creative ways to engage with policy partners to bring messaging on issues of importance.
- Maintain fluency on a variety of regulatory and policy issues including financial regulation, cryptocurrency, decentralized finance, technology, consumer protection, tax, and data privacy.
- Be an advocate for Square and our customers on important policy and political matters, and craft positions for us that will establish us as an expert and innovator
- Track essential legislative and regulatory activity affecting Square and its community of sellers.
- Develop thoughtful, inclusive, and cohesive responses to incoming policy hurdles.
- Work with and help manage outside consultants.
- Help with coalition building through third-party groups and partnerships.
- 5 years of experience in U.S. state government relations, with a preference for experience in the financial services, cryptocurrency, and technology sectors.
- A love of technology, and passion for Square's purpose.
- Experience navigating complex policy issues.
- Experience working collaboratively across internal departments.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication; an ability to explain complicated issues and policy positions to any audience.
- Curiosity and ability to collaborate.
- An appreciation for the Oxford comma.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.