Senior Software Engineer, Observability
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
The Observability Team is a high visibility foundational engineering team chartered to build the tools that engineers at Block trust in order to understand the behaviors and performance of services, data stores and application platforms. The team is responsible for deciding on the technical direction to build the future for observability capabilities at Block. They are responsible for scaling the systems and platforms that handle terabytes of data daily, as well as the developer experience around this ecosystem of telemetry, logs and other data. Engineers on this team feel at home working in and around multiple languages and have empathy for the need for high quality information to make technical and product decisions. You’ll work with teams across Block to ship features and core infrastructure that allow our engineers to move faster.
- Identify, scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across the company around logging, telemetry and other core observability tools
- Be actively involved in setting strategic direction and implementing an expanding roadmap
- Own problems end to end from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and launch
- Translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Design APIs and data models to work within microservice and event-driven architectures
- Participate in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards
- Evolve and improve existing backend systems to meet product iteration velocity while maintaining a high quality bar
- Mentor other engineers and help cultivate a fast-growing team
- 5+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- Experience building product/services end-to-end from technical design, implementation, testing to delivery
- Strong verbal and nonverbal communication skills. You’re adept at understanding complex technical concepts and helping your team make decisions to move forward, as well as communicating those decisions up. Effective remote collaboration skills with distributed teams
- Experience building and maintaining large scale distributed systems
- Experience working with open source & cloud native tooling, such as Kubernetes, Prometheus and OpenTelemetry
Technologies we use and teach:
- Languages: Go, Java
- Other: Elasticsearch, Prometheus, Terraform, Kubernetes, AWS
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.