Electrical Design Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. From the Square Card Reader for NFC and chip cards, Square Stand, Square Terminal and Register, our family of devices is growing - and this is only the beginning. As we introduce more and more of our products to the world, our hardware footprint continues to expand.
Square’s mission demands increasingly complex electrical designs that include integration of multiple payment technologies, RF and near-field communication (NFC), batteries, displays, multiple CPUs, and more. All of this must coexist with security, reliability, and low-cost, high-volume manufacturing. We are looking for a passionate electrical design engineer who craves these challenges. You will report into our Electrical Design Engineering lead.
- Design circuits for Square’s hardware products
- Collaborate with firmware, mechanical, and factory test engineers, developing cohesive, elegant solutions
- Design low-power, low-cost embedded systems optimized for volume production from “cradle to grave”
- Travel internationally 5~15%
- 2+ years experience as an electrical engineer in embedded systems
- Experience designing and shipping high-volume consumer products
- Expertise in the hardware lab with test, measurement, and prototyping
- Expertise in developing schematics and leading PCB layout activities
- Familiar with standard communication interfaces such as SPI, USB, I2C, RS232
- Hands-on experience designing for EMC and debugging associated issues
- Strong skills in power management and low-power optimization
- Extensive on-site factory experience with contract manufacturers
- BS in electrical engineering or related field
- Experience with electrical simulation (i.e. SPICE, electro-magnetic, etc.)
- Experience in board-level analog design
- Familiarity with Altium Designer
- Experience with ARM processors
- Understanding of near-field and RF design fundamentals (i.e. NFC, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc)
- Experience writing embedded firmware
- Ability to automate lab instruments with Python
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.