Software Engineer, Channels + Fulfillment (Frontend)
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Kitchener, Canada
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Right now, thousands of traditional brick and mortar sellers are starting to sell online for the first time. This e-commerce expansion was a trend before 2020, but it's been massively accelerated by the current pandemic.
Selling online is a new and challenging world for many sellers. Beyond the foundation of simply having an online store, sellers need an omnichannel presence across many marketplaces; they need to be everywhere that buyers are. Further, these sellers now need to handle new workflows like managing orders and returns across the globe instead of simply in-person at a register.
- Provide remarkable user experiences powered by your code
- Work with designers, product managers, data scientists, and other developers to understand our problem space and create elegant solutions
- Join a supportive and sometimes silly team passionate about test-driven development, documentation, and growth in the craft of software engineering
- Establish new patterns and contribute to shared components to accelerate frontend development for the entire team, and sometimes all of Square
- Relative to your experience level, assume leadership roles for features and projects
- Work with state of the art technology and technologists forging new paradigms for the industry
- Learn from us, and help us learn from you!
- 3+ years of professional software engineering experience
- 1+ years of a frontend focus in Ember, React, or Angular
- Experience not only in writing great code, but also in understanding the struggles faced by users of the products you build
- The ability to embrace periods of ambiguity and be part of the force lighting a path forward for the team
- A lifelong interest in both learning and mentoring others
- Bonus: leadership experience or interest
Technologies we use and teach:
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.