Senior Security Engineer, Cloud Kubernetes
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Square’s Information Security culture is focused on enabling our engineering teams to build and ship secure products. We achieve this by designing, building, and deploying state of the art security alongside our product and infrastructure teams.
As a Senior Security Engineer, Cloud Kubernetes, you will be responsible for hardening Square’s Kubernetes environments. Square is in the early days of migrating existing on-prem services to the cloud. Your work will shape the way we use Kubernetes for years to come.
We’re looking for someone with both a broad knowledge of security and systems, as well as a deep knowledge of containers and Kubernetes. Real-world production Kubernetes experience is a must-have for this job. The ideal candidate will have other experience across a range of technical disciplines and may have had past jobs such as Information Security (Hardening, Detection/Response, Blue Team, etc) and systems (SRE, SysAdmin, Network Engineer, etc).
- Design and build the security components of Kubernetes in multiple environments (AWS EKS, GCP GKE, possibly on-prem).
- Build security automation for cloud environments.
- Work closely with the infrastructure and product teams who are moving to the cloud, and ensure that they have secure-by-default systems.
- 4-10 years total experience in tech.
- You work well cross-functionally, and can communicate with audiences who may not have a security background.
- Kubernetes experience
- At least 1 year of Kubernetes experience, especially in a large or complex environment. This work experience should be at least 75% of your time focused on Kubernetes., including work securing production resources. We are looking for someone who can bring their skills to Square and hit the ground running.
- Experience implementing Kubernetes security and hardening.
- Experience with at least 1: AWS EKS or GCP GKE.
- Security experience
- At least 2 years experience working in security.
- Expertise in cloud automation tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible, etc.
- Experience writing code to solve security issues. This could be writing security tools, or automation/management of security-sensitive environments.
- Experience securing Linux systems - hardening, logging/detection, general systems design. Emphasis on container security.
- Networking knowledge, including network security and segmentation.
- Experience in Python and/or Ruby.
- Experience in both AWS and GCP.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.