Engineering Manager (Server), Appointments
- New York, NY
- Employees can work remotely
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square Appointments is an industry leading Point of Sale for small businesses that have complex scheduling needs (salons, personal trainers, massage therapists, tax consultants, etc). Every day hundreds of thousands of small businesses around the world rely on us to run and grow their business. Our platform powers merchants on our Point of Sale product and third-party developers through our public developer platform. Our highly available service is involved in the complete booking lifecycle: search, reservation, payment and analytics.
In order to scale our systems, we are building out a brand new Platform Server team. This team’s mission is to architect and build the next generation of services that will ensure our reliability and scale for the future. From scaling our data store, to building our platform primitives, to launching public APIs, this team will lay the foundation for other developers, both first party and third party, to build powerful features on top of.
As a leader within the Appointments team, you will be responsible for managing a team of high caliber server engineers. You & your team will be involved in the technical details of building highly available and reliable services, while also working with feature teams to enable Square Appointments to rapidly build new capabilities for our sellers and buyers all over the world.
- Help make your team a place where everyone can live their best lives and do the best work of their careers
- Lead your team in developing and operating a key platform for Square, diving deep with customers and launching new products for internal and external developers.
- Hire and develop your engineers, helping them learn and achieve their own goals while holding them - and yourself - to high engineering standards
- Develop efficient processes, ensuring the engineering team is operating with high velocity, quality and ownership
- Focus your team on increasing resiliency, uptime and deployment velocity while decreasing the blast radius of software bugs and outages, and tracking and improving customer facing metrics.
- Form excellent working relationships with your counterparts in design, product, marketing, external QA vendors, and other engineering and business teams across Square.
- 8+ years relevant software development and systems design experience
- 3+ years of experience as a Software Development Manager
- Experience leading large software services that have successfully been delivered to customers
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.