Senior Android Software Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
The Square Android Platform Apps team is responsible for the System Apps and System Services running on the Square Android Platform, the platform that powers Square branded Android devices such as Register and Terminal. As an Android Engineer on the team, you will manage designing, building, and maintaining Square Android System Apps, the user-facing elements of the Square Platform experience used by Square Sellers, as well as System Services used by internal Square app developers developing features for the platform. You will be involved in the technical details of building available and reliable systems within the Android ecosystem, while also working with product teams to ensure Square to rapidly build new capabilities for our merchants and buyers all over the world.
- Build available and reliable systems within the Android ecosystem that power custom hardware solutions our sellers use throughout the world
- Have a meaningful impact on the future of the Square Android platform roadmap
- Craft durable, well-tested code with an unwavering commitment to product quality
- Work with product managers and designers to refine and define product scope and design.
- Respond to customer feedback to improve our products.
- 5+ years of experience working in the Android ecosystem
- Proficiency in Java or Kotlin for development (we use both)
- Experience with creating readable, pragmatic code and an appreciation for simple, practical solutions
- Enjoy working on mobile apps at all levels – from networking up to user interfaces and whatever's in between.
- Experience partnering with Hardware and Manufacturing teams to ship platform features
- Experience partnering with product managers and designers to determine product scope
- Experience working with AOSP is a big plus
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.