Commercial Counsel, TIDAL
- New York, NY
- Employees can work remotely
Square is seeking an experienced and highly motivated commercial counsel to join our new TIDAL commercial team, who will be primarily responsible for drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements and providing legal advice and guidance on commercial transactions. Experience partnering with music labels, scaling global businesses and reviewing due diligence in connection with corporate development activity would be ideal. As we expand our offerings and further enhance TIDAL’s service and products, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact. A creative legal mind with an extreme attention to detail and a sense of adventure are all required.
This role can be worked remotely in the US.
- Work with a team of commercial attorneys to work collaboratively to prioritize projects and manage the commercial aspects of our business
- Draft and negotiate several commercial and intellectual property agreements affecting our products, including marketing, sponsorship and brand partnership agreements, performer, talent, and influencer agreements, livestream, live performance, music video, event promotion, concert production, exclusive content, videographer and podcast agreements, service provider and vendor agreements, voucher agreements, carrier agreements, and technology integration agreements
- Provide legal advice, guidance and transactional support practical solutions while managing legal and commercial risk
- Assist and support product and engineering teams in connection with the launch of new product features and integrations
- Help support any TIDAL-related M&A, investment or other corporate development activities, including the due diligence process
- Manage projects with a team-oriented approach
- Manage contracts and records management system
- Create systems and processes to help scale a business operating in 60+ countries with great ambitions
- Work on other projects by the Legal Team
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in law firms and in-house legal departments
- A deep passion for music and an interest in all forms of digital content
- Experience working on music and entertainment matters
- A combination of both in-house and major law firm practice experience
- Experience with label agreements and content distribution and associated intellectual property matters
- Experience drafting commercial agreements, domestically and internationally and partnering with global partners
- Fluency in translating legal advice into relevant guidance for new product, finance and business teams
- Experience with Google G-suite, Microsoft Suite, DocuSign, contract management systems, and project management tools
- Experience working with teams across the organization
- A JD and active membership in at least one state bar
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.