Engineering Lead - OS Apps (Server), Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Square in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to our millions of monthly active users. We want to make the world’s relationship with money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
The OS Apps team is a nascent group charged with reimagining the core experience of Cash App. We are building an entirely new way for people to use their money and expanding the reach of the Cash App network. The engineering leader in this position will be critical in shaping, deploying, and expanding this new area.
As an Engineering Manager, you will build teams, products, and services. You will be responsible for technical architecture, growing the team, ensuring collaboration across a multitude of disciplines and providing support to individuals through your mentorship and leadership skills.
- Scope, build, and scale products, systems, and services that have an immediate impact on our customers
- Lead mission-critical infrastructure at the core of how people use Cash App
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, strategy and product discussions with leaders across the organization and company
- Participate in all parts of product development, working with non-Engineering related disciplines (Product and Design) and adjacent Engineering teams (Mobile, Platform, Machine Learning, and Data Science)
- Define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs
- Build a world-class team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar
- Boundless curiosity, persistence, and a strong sense of accountability
- 8+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- Have 5+ years of experience managing teams and leading people
- Experienced in managing and mentoring engineers (including providing feedback, investing in career growth, and growing teams)
- A history of healthy collaboration with product managers, engineers, and other engineering managers on developing roadmaps and executing against them
- Focused on the design of products from a customer perspective. We are here to make their lives easier, and want to ensure we’re putting our customers first through every piece of engineering
- Committed to continuous improvement of yourself, your teammates, and our software
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin
- MySQL, Dynamo, ElasticSearch
- gRPC and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.