Site Reliability Engineer, CI & Infrastructure
- Portland, OR, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Los Angeles, United States
Square is committed to high standards and innovation, and our hardware is no exception. Square's hardware devices form the tangible connection between Square and the millions of small businesses who rely on our services. We rigorously test our hardware devices, which requires a reliable and robust CI system. As an SRE for the continuous integration infrastructure team, you will drive the application reliability and scalability of our CI systems and pipelines, in support of developer velocity and productivity. This is a unique role that applies strong CS and software engineering principles to the field of infrastructure, offering challenges in areas including scaling, distributed systems, and concurrency. This role will report into our Engineering Manager for Hardware CI & Infrastructure.
Role Location: Your direct team will be based in the Pacific time zone. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing typical working hours.
- Build scalable infrastructure to manage CI systems (both on-prem and AWS) and applications, with a focus on software engineering and CS principles.
- Build tools and automation that enhance developer velocity and productivity.
- Minimize the risk of reliability related failure outcomes related to durability, availability, and performance.
- Collaborate across multiple teams including Devices Software Engineering, Client Platform Engineering, Corp Systems Engineering, IT Support, Production Platform Engineering, and Information Security.
- Design and manage our SLIs and SLOs.
- Build dashboards and programmatic alerting to maximize visibility into system health and status.
- Help with capacity planning for our hybrid cloud infrastructure (on-prem and AWS).
- Perform periodic on-call duty to handle system outages.
- BS or higher in Computer Science or equivalent technical experience.
- 6+ years of industry experience developing and troubleshooting large-scale infrastructure.
- The ability to independently write programs in a programming language of your choice.
- Similarly strong Bash and shell scripting skills.
- Knowledge of network routing, TCP/IP Protocols, DHCP configurations, and Git.
- Strong understanding of Infrastructure as Code.
- Experience with Configuration management and Infrastructure-as-a-Service tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.
- Experience building and scaling continuous integration systems and pipelines.
- Experience with deploy and management systems like VMware, Foreman, MaaS, or other open source tools.
- Nice to have: Experience with Jenkins/CI or other test infrastructure tools, a huge plus.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.