Senior Software Engineer, MacOS
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
The Client Platform Engineering team owns the management of the devices Squares use every day to develop remarkable solutions. This platform includes the laptops, desktops, and mobile devices used by Squares, as well as the services supporting them, allowing us to remotely onboard new Squares, empower their productivity, and keep them secure.
You will manage platform automation, configuration management, and service administration. You have a knowledge of macOS and Linux toolsets, and have experience managing the life-cycle of employee device fleets. You will work with the Client Platform Engineering team and peer teams to contribute code, discuss design decisions, and develop new tooling. You will manage projects from discovery to deployment, presenting peer-reviewed design documents, coordinating business partners, writing comms, and overseeing the deployment and support of our platform services.
- Develop strategies and code on client macOS, ChromeOS, Windows, iOS, and Linux endpoints in laptop, desktop, and virtual form.
- Work with enterprise and open source software using the Python and Swift languages.
- Architect and debug deployments of operating system upgrades, security patches, and software updates within a Continuous Integration workflow.
- Analyze system metrics to identify and address problematic machines.
- Partner with our Infrastructure teams to deploy and manage client platform services.
- Create and deploy Munki packages, with proper testing and slow roll out to a fleet of thousands of endpoints.
- Work with security teams to keep Squares safe.
- Use Configuration Management to enforce state on diverse device platforms, including cloud and virtual.
- Securely transmit heartbeat data to reporting services.
- Participate in code and change management reviews.
- 5+ years experience working in a professional IT Engineering environment.
- Experience with at least one high-level programming language (e.g. Python, Ruby, Go, or Swift)
- Working knowledge of the following technologies: Git, Salt, Munki, MDM, Osquery, CI/CD, Zero-Trust Networking, Docker, and Cloud Infrastructure.
- Experience managing and communicating the deployment of changes to production environments.
- Security mindset and experience using open source and enterprise tooling.
- Independently developed solutions and made technical recommendations using automation.
- Lead successful projects to completion.
- Familiarity in communicating engineering designs, deployment strategies, and daily operation with peers and partners across Square.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.