Senior Art Director, Square for Retail
- Detroit, MI, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square is looking for an experienced and passionate Sr. Art Director to join our creative team focused on Square for Retail Marketing. You will work with multiple partners across creative, design, design technologists, copywriting, production and product marketing to guide our business, brand and company mission forward.
This is a hands-on creative leadership role with a lot of opportunity to establish our Square for Retail marketing creative. You will be at the heart of co-creating on-strategy ideas and bringing them to life. You'll be asked to connect dots, organize thoughts and develop strategy to match the teams' expectations. You will lead projects from concept through execution, QA, and iteration. We work across platforms, covering web and mobile experiences, visual design, photography, video, and animation.
You're conceptual, strategic, kind, can share and sell your ideas, and encourage others to share theirs. You sweat the smallest details, understand what it takes to develop great creative work, excel in collaboration, and have a passion for inspiring team members.
- Lead design concepts, assets, and visual treatments across different media and marketing channels
- Partner with our Sr. Writer and Sr. Designer to lead the internal creative process
- Translate brand strategy into powerful and purposeful creative concepts
- Achieve outstanding photography, videography direction, and design direction
- Use customer and industry data to inspire creative concepts and work with product marketing managers and strategists to validate
- Foster partnerships with program management and a cross-discipline team of designers, writers, design technologists, product marketers, and strategists
- Champion brand standards and design systems
- Motivate and encourage the team to ensure the work is the best it can be, maintaining a high level of creative execution while meeting the needs of our partners
- 7+ years of relevant experience, 2+ years of leadership experience.
- Experience leading development of integrated marketing campaigns
- Experience leading and art directing photography and video shoots.
- Advanced storytelling skills, covering multiple formats and channels.
- Expertise in typography, composition, color, layout, design thinking, and content strategy in the design solutions you create.
- Fluency in Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, motion.
- An understanding of performance and awareness marketing strategies.
- Familiarity with new and traditional channels and media.
- Understand the possibilities and limitations of web design and digital accessibility.
- Experience partnering with copywriters, designers, design technologists, program managers and product marketers. Both internal creative teams or external agencies.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.