UX Writer, Point of Sale and Customers
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Kitchener, Canada
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
The Square Point of Sale and Customers team is looking for a UX Writer to establish the UX Writing practice for Square's core Point of Sale app and complementary products including Virtual Terminal, Team Management, Customer Directory, Invoices, Marketing, Loyalty, and Gift Cards. You will work intimately with product designers, product managers, researchers, engineering, and legal to increase usability and ease of use across our products, while also building the processes we will rely on to grow UX Writing as a discipline with other UX Writers across the company.
- Write and edit product copy across eight product teams within Customer Point of Sale. This includes the smallest micro copy to the most visible headlines and everything in between.
- Guide best practices for UX writing in collaboration with our design systems team and other UX writers across the company
- Build relationships with team members and colleagues from other disciplines across the organization, and speak to processes and value of the writing discipline
- Partner with marketing writers to determine how our brand voice is expressed within our products
- Help the Product Design team become more efficient by developing processes and workflows for working with UX Writers
- Apply metrics, data, design research, user testing, customer support insights, and more to inform content and language decisions
- Manage your workload of multiple projects with different collaborators
- Create a foundation for growing UX writing as our organization scales
**For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio and any relevant passwords**
- At least (5) years of relevant professional experience
- A portfolio with examples of previous UX writing work specifically showing how you improved user experience through language, from interface copy to style guides and beyond
- Experience being embedded in a product design team with whom you'll collaborate.
- Comfortable providing feedback on UI/UX designs, asking thoughtful questions about product strategy, and applying insights from research
- Experience using design software tools like Figma
- Technical writing experience
- Marketing or brand writing experience
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.