Senior Software Engineer - Commerce Ecosystem, Cash App
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Square in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to our millions of monthly active users. We want to make the world’s relationship with money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
The Merchant App Platform team is responsible for enabling third-party service providers to build features that connect merchants and consumers.
As a software engineer on the Merchant App Platform team, you will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining Cash App's suite of merchant feature primitives, which includes identity and relationship management, rendering and interaction models, and APIs that empower developers to design seamless customer experiences. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and reliable services, while also working with product teams to build new capabilities for our customers, partners, and merchants as we scale across the world.
This is an exciting and rare chance to join us as a founding member of this team working in a high growth area. As someone who is joining the team early in the product life cycle (greenfield development!), you'll have plenty of opportunities to help shape the product and feature roadmap to discover and prioritize customer value.
- Build & expand the bridge that connects Cash App with merchant ecosystems
- Architect, build, and deliver features that enable experiences which are loved by millions of people around the world
- Own features and functions throughout their life cycle, from inception, rollout, launch, scale, and iteration
- Work cross-functionally with our non-engineering partners (Product and Design) and adjacent engineering teams (Mobile, Machine Learning, and Data Science) to create new product experiences and developer APIs
- Lift the skills and expertise of others on the team as a technical leader
- Participate and improve our team's on-call rotation
- A passion for advancing Cash App's purpose of economic empowerment by bringing people closer to businesses they love
- 8 or more years of software development or equivalent experience
- Boundless curiosity, persistence, and a desire to get things done
- Taken technical initiative and led high value projects across multiple teams and disciplines
- Success prioritizing urgency, excellence, and execution in a fast-paced and high-growth engineering environment
- Experience creating delightful software experiences on a cross-functional product development team
- A history of healthy collaboration with product managers, designers, engineers, and other stakeholders
- Experience with building scalable distributed systems and developer APIs
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, AWS Aurora, DynamoDB
- Amazon Web Services
- Kafka & event-driven microservice architectures
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.