Senior Engineering Manager, Cash App
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
It all started with an idea at Square in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to our millions of monthly active users. We want to make the world’s relationship with money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
The Global team's overall goal is to launch, build and sustainably grow Cash App beyond the US. Global has multiple product work streams that are responsible for enabling new markets, launching new products in existing markets and accelerating growth where we have found traction.
We are looking for a talented, entrepreneurial Engineering Manager with strong product know-how to establish a new engineering team in Canada. This role reports directly to the Head of Global Engineering (based in Melbourne, Australia).
You will be responsible for:
- Product: Defining and executing the product roadmap alongside a product lead (what we launch, when we launch it).
- Engineering: Building or adapting systems to enable the execution of the product roadmap.
- Team Growth: Building and scaling an inclusive and diverse engineering team in Canada to meet the needs of the product roadmap.
This role will work closely with a Product Lead and cross functional foundational teams (Design, Operations, Machine Learning Engineering, Analytics, Compliance Regulatory and Customer Support) to collaboratively achieve these goals. Together, this team will be capable of enhancing our products in the US and successfully launching them into new markets.
- Partner closely with the Product Lead, designers, engineers, and business leads to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs
- Build products, systems, and services that have an immediate impact on our customers
- Build a world-class team by hiring, motivating and retaining exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, product and partnership discussions with leaders across the organization and company
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, accountability, pragmatism, and urgency in the team
- Be responsible for the success of Cash App business outside of the US
We value Engineering Managers who:
- Lead with a people-first approach, can lead a conversation rather than dictate it, and are empathetic to conflicting viewpoints
- Have 10+ years experience working with product engineering teams & 5+ years experience in leading teams of engineers, in ideally remote and distributed teams
- Are able to build strong relationships with counterparts, both internally and externally, including compliance, legal, operations and customer support
- Excel at building world class engineering teams that are highly-functional, collaborative and inclusive
- Knowledge of consumer finance products is not essential, but highly desirable
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.