Creative Software Engineer, Marketing Creative
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Oakland, United States
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio/work samples.
As a Design Technologist, you'll be an important member of a creative team specialized in creating digital experiences and marketing campaigns. You will bring technology to the creative process; the front-end interactions you bring to life will create remarkable experiences for our sellers.
You are well versed in an appropriate mix of development and prototyping platforms and tools and know-how to select the most suitable platform for the task. You provide flexible code and can be iterated upon, and pride yourself on being up-to-date with the latest best practices. Thriving on exploration and experimentation, you are at the heart of co-creating ideas and bringing them to life. You have skills that compliment your application of technology, including but never limited to: a precise eye for intelligent UX, great design, and good foundations in process.
- Participate in concept development and design iteration.
- Partner on projects from ideation and design through implementation.
- Take creative direction and expand on concept ideas for tactics, with a solid and active contribution in creative reviews.
- Participate in brainstorms, partnering with colleagues with diverse teams including Strategy, Design, Digital Production, and Copy.
- Build hands-on technical development of prototypes coming out of ideation.
- Contribute to discussions about the digital aspects of creative campaigns.
- Present ideas or prototypes to mixed client marketing / technical audiences.
- Work creatively through and around perceived limitations and challenges imposed by the delivery platform to create delightful customer experiences.
- Evaluate and document any new creative and engineering standards or patterns that could arise from your work.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience
- BS in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Backend development – Familiarity of Ruby, Java, or other backend languages
- Portfolio of work that displays design, high-fidelity animation, motion, iconography, typography, color, and imagery
- Understanding of web standards, browser performance, and best practices
- Passion for digital marketing, advertising, and understanding metrics
- Advocate for technology and choosing the right tool for the job
- Familiarity with modern design tools (Figma, Adobe After Effects, Cinema 4D)
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.