Senior Software Engineer, Payroll
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Oakland, United States
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Much in the same way that Square revolutionized payments, Payroll is radically altering how employees get paid and businesses manage their finances. Our mission is to make running a business simple and personal by applying automation and an excellent user-experience.
Our small, collaborative team has already built many foundational features and are now focused on improving and experimenting beyond a traditional payroll product. We want to transform the lives of people that make their living through our platform. We're a part of the Square ecosystem and are using our position to build products and features that are beyond the capabilities of our competitors.
You are a product-minded, customer-focused, full-stack engineer who can help take world-changing ideas from prototype to launch.
- Champion the needs of Payroll's small-business employer and employee customer base, through customer empathy, iteration, and service ownership
- Write clean, testable, peer-reviewed code, which will be a model for the team around you
- Technically lead a diverse portfolio of full-stack engineering projects
- Oversee the development and live operation of a distributed architecture
- Advocate for change in quality, durability, and technical debt reduction, working directly with Product Managers, Engineering Managers, and other important partners
- Revitalize services and architectures which have outlasted their original implementations, through refactoring, migration, and scale-ready, distributed architectural design
- Safeguard the privacy, security, and trust of our customers' sensitive data throughout our implementations, in partnerships with our Risk and Information Security teams
- Unleash the velocity of our engineers and engineering systems with processes and implementations that allow us to ship quicker, fail faster, and isolate the blast radius of change pipelines
- A curious, passionate, growth-oriented mindset
- A desire to teach, improve, and otherwise force multiply the strengths of the engineers that surround you
- Led impactful engineering projects at non-trivial scale
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails
- Software design experience with distributed architectures that have seen growth
- 5+ years of industry experience
Bonus points if you also have:
- Familiarity with React
- Monitor and observability expertise
- Experience building and deploying to cloud infrastructure
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.