Senior Software Engineer - Lending
- San Francisco, CA
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, instantly available and universally accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App's mission is to make money instantly available and universally accessible - all the products and features we've released in the app are based on those principles. Lending is one of the newest Cash App products and we're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join this team and help deliver on our vision of economic empowerment.
Lending offers Cash users low-friction access to money without prohibitive repayment terms and the Lending Engineering team is focused on building the complex systems and tooling to support access and availability. Within Lending, the Underwriting Engineering team focuses on building the systems and tooling to create a holistic view of our customers and to enable our Machine Learning (ML) teams to make decisions on creditworthiness, risk and exposure at scale. We're looking for people who are as excited about our mission as they are about the technical challenges we have.
- Work on impactful, multi-person projects that cross Engineering team boundaries
- Take a developer-centric approach in designing and building APIs
- Develop Cash App Lending features and test everything you build thoroughly
- Operate and manage existing Cash services
- Provide mentorship to other members of the team
- Make recommendations to improve the team and wider Engineering practices
- Help interview candidates, organize external recruiting/networking activities as well as contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- 5+ years working on complex systems and delivering quality software
- Developed clear expertise in one or more technical areas
- Curiosity that pushes you to find flaws in a complex system and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- Taken technical initiative on previous projects, having led or contributed to medium-to-large feature releases
- The ability to persevere in complex situations, across multiple axes: e.g. scale, uncertainty, interconnectedness
- An interest in working on a product that impacts people/businesses directly
Tools we teach and use:
- Kotlin and Java 11 (including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice)
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, TiDB
- Event-driven microservice architecture
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.