Senior Software Engineer - Web, Commerce, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
The Commerce team launched Cash App Pay in late 2021, and is building new in-person and online payment experiences that build upon our vast omni-channel Seller ecosystem at Square. We make this possible via new authorization APIs to empower the consumer in what is traditionally a merchant and bank-controlled world. For a demo of Cash App Pay, check out shop.cash.app
As a senior engineer on the team, you will pave the way for the Commerce and Cash App Pay team’s web development through design, execution, and maintenance of our new payment experiences. You will work with internal teams and external partners to ensure the solutions you develop integrate seamlessly to deliver first-in-class customer experiences. You'll be joining the founding team early in the product life cycle, with plenty of opportunities to continue shaping it from an engineering and product perspective.
- Build foundational Commerce and Cash App Pay web products.
- Create beautiful and functional web experiences that appear fluid between desktop and mobile platforms.
- Craft reusable web components for first and third-party developers.
- Own SDKs and tooling to support all facets of SDK lifecycle and customer engagement.
- Focus on scalable integrations with Cash App, the Square ecosystem at large, and external ecosystems.
- Work cross-functionally and communicate with our product, design, and other engineering teams to design new services and experiences.
- Build systems that protect customer data and hold Cash App to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Design fault tolerant systems that minimize negative impact on customers while enabling quick iteration and calculated experimentation.
- Lift the skills and expertise of others on the team as a technical leader.
- 8 or more years of software development or equivalent experience.
- Experience building Web Frontend UI for multiple form factors.
- Product mindedness and a deep care about your customers' experiences.
- A sense of developer empathy that influences the way you craft the third-party developer experience.
- Desire to help build all aspects of our Commerce Web Frontend stack through your work on this team.
- A level of comfort working within ambiguity.
- A vested interest in advancing Cash App's vision of building for economic empowerment.
Tools we use and teach:
- TypeScript, XState, Preact, Tailwind
- Go, HTTP / gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services, Terraform, Buildkite
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.