Senior Platform Security Engineer, Cash App
- New York, NY, USA
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Square in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to our millions of monthly active users. We want to make the world’s relationship with money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
Cash is built as a service mesh, communicating via synchronous APIs as well as asynchronous events, built on AWS and Kubernetes. The Platform team is responsible for the mission-critical fabric that those services run on, and provides service discovery, routing, self-healing, and observability features that product teams use to operate their systems on Cash’s platform.
The Cash Security team is a hands-on engineering-driven security team that embeds security engineers within key platform and product teams across Cash. As a security team, we collaborate on building and sharing security infrastructure, design patterns, and guidelines.
As a Cash Security Engineer embedded on Cash Platform’s engineering team, you’ll work within and across Cash Platform’s engineering team to:
- Co-design, co-build, and co-own the security hardening, mechanisms, and features of our production platform across deploy, storage, traffic, and developer velocity.
- Design, apply, and develop cryptographic layers to provide “zero-trust” security properties for multi-tenant separation within shared infrastructure systems
- Evaluate the security properties and risks of 3rd-party systems and services that we would integrate into our cloud environment to advise the Cash Platform team of the trade-offs
- Help the engineers around you level-up on their own security reasoning and knowledge
- Work with bleeding edge cloud technology
- A strong motivation to contribute to a meaningful product that will fundamentally change the way people interact with financial institutions.
- Strong desire to perform and grow as a security engineer and educate other engineers
- Demonstrated technical initiative and leadership
Technologies we use and teach:
- AWS KMS and Google’s Tink Cryptographic APIs
- Go, Terraform, AWS, Docker, Kubernetes
- gRPC, Envoy
- SignalFx, DataDog, Jaeger, Prometheus
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.