Engineering Manager - Data Platforms
- New York, NJ
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 36 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store fot engineering team to develop, operation, observe, support and scale our persistence layer (relational and non-relational) that is used by our applications, customers and partners.
As an engineering manager, you will:
- Partner closely with engineering leadership, product management, business operations, engineers and data scientists to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs, come up with creative ways to leverage technology to boost the data platforms capabilities and adoption at Cash
- Be driven by SLOs, prioritise multiple streams of work from disparate customers
- Work with teams across the entire engineering org to enable them to launch Cash App features and adopt our services
- Build a world-class team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar
- Lead and participate in critical technical, strategic and operational discussions with leaders across the organisation, company and external partners
Foster ownership, inclusiveness, accountability, quality, innovation, pragmatism, and urgency in the team - and drive a culture of continuous improvement in all aspects of the team’s workr many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our teams are remote first and globally distributed. You will have high levels of autonomy and curiosity and you will have the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world.
- Boundless curiosity, autonomy, a strong sense of accountability, persistence and a desire to get things done, while still being human
- Ability to work autonomously, in ambiguous situations, while being collaborative
- A track record of building, coaching and leading productive engineering teams
- Demonstrated technical initiative, leadership, and project execution
- Experience working on cloud infrastructure and/or large-scale production systems, With experience leading systems where data consistency and availability is paramount
- Strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate with people across disciplines
- Ability to coordinate work between different stakeholders across the company
- Ability to lead your team to build creative solutions towards the org mission, while coaching them towards their career goals
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience managing teams and leading people
- 6+ years of software development or equivalent experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin, Go
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes
- SignalFx, DataDog, Jaeger, Prometheus
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, Envoy, and Protocol Buffers
- S3, DynamoDB, Aurora (mysql), TiDB, Spark, Flink, Kafka
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding state and city guidelines.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.