Manufacturing Test Engineer
- Shenzhen, China
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square’s Hardware Team builds the tangible connection to Square. We started with a simple and elegant Reader that turns any phone or tablet into a mobile point of sale - and we continue to lead this category with advances in chip card and NFC technology. As we introduce more products, we will meet the needs of more and more sellers with stand-out hardware products, globally. Our hardware engineers are responsible for designing and developing world class hardware products. They understand the subtleties of user interaction, robust communication interfaces, and smart product design.
Problems We Work On
The Manufacturing Test Engineering team at Square is responsible for making sure that the millions of hardware devices leaving our factories are built according to design and meet (or exceed) customer expectations. We’re a diverse group of engineers that use our unique backgrounds to solve challenging problems in our factories. We dabble in electrical engineering, software, mechanicals and data analysis to understand the design intent of our products and understand how we can translate it to scalable test plans. We are Jacks and Jills of all trades, and we thrive on having a deep systems-level understanding of Square’s hardware products.
- Become intimately familiar with Square's hardware products and manufacturing processes.
- Research technologies for our next-generation hardware products
- Develop test plans and test-setup prototypes for new technologies
- Work with Square's Devices Software Engineering group to understand embedded test access and APIs.
- Design, bring-up and maintain the hardware and software for test stations
- Understand the meaning of the measurements our stations are taking, and feed analysis of these measurements back to our hardware design teams
- Reach beyond the boundaries of Manufacturing Test to make Square's products better wherever you see the chance.
- Provide on-site support during NPI and mass-production builds
- MS/BS degree in EE, Computer Engineering/Science or related field (or equivalent on the job experience)
- Clear written and spoken English and Mandarin communication skills
- 5 years work experience in Manufacturing Test Engineering for products: either designing/building test stations or supporting factory test lines at contract manufacturers
- Experience writing software in multiple languages on a variety of platforms. (We work mostly in Python and C++ on Windows, Mac and Linux).
- Experience reading EE schematics, and operating typical EE test equipment (DMM, Oscilloscope, Signal Analyzer)
- Understand software design principles and pragmatically apply those to writing, debugging and maintaining factory test scripts.
- Basic knowledge of statistics, Excel (can perform complex functions), JMP, or other numerical analysis tools)
- Experience managing contract manufacturing test engineering partners to drive GR&R, DOE, and Factory Test Dry Runs to prepare for prototype NPI builds
- Understanding of how to analyze GR&R data (both parametric and attribute/go no-go)
- Experience writing clear reports (Build Reports, Station Issue Lists/Material Issue Lists, SOPs)
Even Better if You Have:
- Experience performing analog measurements (RF, acoustic, optical) including calibration and control of systematic errors
- Experience working on electrical signal integrity in a noisy environment
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.