Product Design Director, Square for Retail
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
As a Product Design Director on Square for Retail, you will lead a team of cross-functional designers and researchers on a dynamic mix of platform and product challenges that are necessary to the future of Square. This exciting blend of work is across online and omnichannel experiences, our beloved in-store point-of-sale, and Square's suite of best-in-class hardware and devices. We're looking for someone with a proven track record to help paint the future of retail across all touchpoints and innovate in a rapidly changing industry.
- Report directly to the Head of Design, and partner with your peers to create and implement a bold multi-year strategy.
- Provide guidance of your team's output, facilitating partnerships and the design process.
- Promote an outstanding design practice, influence product strategy, and ensure product execution.
- Help build an environment of active collaboration between different practices (Engineering, PM, Research, etc.)
- At least 12 years of relevant professional experience and 4+ years of people management
- You have led teams that have contributed to high impact projects for your company
- You have experience effectively collaborating and maintaining relationships with a large range of partners across an entire company
- Experience managing product designers and researchers exhibiting ability to hire, build, mentor, and motivate them
- A diverse portfolio of work that illustrates your ability to have impact and lead at the project level, product level, organization level, and company level.
- Experience breaking down company-level goals to help teams across multiple products create remarkable design experiences
- You Implement and lead processes that solve difficult problems and influence across an ecosystem of products
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.